Thursday, January 27, 2011

Aint nothin like Antholz!

Antholz, Italia. If ever anyone gets the chance to visit here, just do it. The weather is always (knock on wood) beautiful, and the skiing is spectacular. The tracks run from almost the valley bottom to all the way up and over the pass and into Austria. Once must, as we did, stop for a Gluwein at the cafe at the top of the pass. The best part is the rip-roaring ski down (this is where the Gluwein helps!) and the ski back across the frozen lake. Really nice.

We arrived Monday to the Bergerhof, a 2 bedroom apartment, which includes 3 cows, a pony, a few (barking) dogs, and 1000 cats. The cows, personally, were my favorite.


The next 2 days were easy training as I was not sleeping well and did not want to push it. On Thursday the men raced and on Friday was us ladies, all 96 of us. I was starter 62 and was feeling good. The weather was nice, the mountains were spectacular, and there was a little wind. The course is beautiful in Antholz, and very fast. In the mens race, there were 60 men within 2 minutes of each other- any mistakes and you could lose 10 spots easily.

After my first loop I came in for prone and missed 1. I wasn't expecting it as it felt like a good shot, and my coach Richard after the race said it was a very close split. Lame! My 2nd loop went well until I fell- it was a silly fall on the S-turn downhill, but I have a nice bruise on my knee. I came in for standing and missed 2- too bad! 3 misses/10 and I placed 94th. It was disappointing as I was not feeling awful, I was pushing hard, and did not miss a ludicrous amount of targets.

That is when I made the decision to fly home to Canmore to have a 3 week break from racing and to just train. It was a tough decision as I was scheduled to be flying to Otepaa, Estonia for Cross-country FIS U23 World Championships. I hated pulling out of a race, but as I am sick now and am not in my best condition, I think it was wise. Good luck to everyone racing there!

I am now in Canmore until Feb18th and then will fly back to Europe to race at European Championships! Thanks to Devonian Properties who once again came to my aid and made it possible for me to come home. You are rockin it!

Take care, have fun and smile! Oh, and I just posted a bunch of pics http://picasaweb.google.com/smurphme12/Europe20102011?feat=directlink

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

NORMA ammunition