Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To the Whis..

Alright! On Monday, Collen Campbell (awesomest neighbor around) drove me into Calgary to do a CBC radio interview before I jumped on a plane and flew to Vancouver. I was met by Robyn Wong, the NZ team manager, and we rocked it to the Vancouver athletes village. I was supposed to go straight to Whistler but with my head cold, we decided I would stay in Vancouver. It was absolutely beautiful, right on the water with a view of the dome for the opening ceremonies and the humongous Sochi 2014 disco ball (its amazing). I stayed there one night, went to bed at 9pm, and felt better the next morning. I was driven up the Callaghan valley at 10am to do some training. It was nice to be movin and groovin again even though it was easy training. I also got to see the Parental Units! It was awesome to see Mum and Dad dressed up at 'Smurfs' (as they are called here). Go Parents! Woo!

(not my parents in photo)


After training, Petr and I made our way to the Whistler athletes village. I had a plethora of baggage in the car and when we arrived, we carried it up from the bottom of the street and were greeted by the Haka (traditional Maori war dance) from the NZ support staff. It was amazing and it felt awesome to be greeted with something true Kiwi.

I will write more when I am back from dinner. Off to chow down on a delish dish. Stay classy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! We'll be eagerly looking out for the NZ team at the opening ceremony coverage - just don't make your cold worse :)

    By the way, a search for your name in the "See what people are saying about....." search box on Twitter gets a LOT of hits. Seems your quote about 'Pain is just a French word for bread' was loved by a BBC journalist and loads of other people are now enjoying it too as a result of his Tweet ;)

    So not only are you representing NZ for biathlon, you're making us look rather witty and droll too - very amusing :)

    Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

NORMA ammunition