Saturday, January 2, 2010

Overwhelming Obertilliach!!!!


Incredible: That is how the last two weeks have been. I have been training in Obertilliach, Austria which is a very popular training spot over Christmas for biathletes. There is one bakery, and only restaurants in the hotels, so not much happening which makes it perfect for training. After our crazy blizzardy Christmas day the conditions were absolutely perfect. -12 and clear skies with perfectly groomed trails. It was impossible to be angry about anything whilst training. The Australian team (Coach Paul, Mark Raymond, Giles, Hamish, Tina and Rachel) was here so I was able to use their scope and get sighted in. Allen Eason from Great Britain was also here training and did some videoing so I could do some technique analysis, which I really appreciated. The teams that were/are here over Christmas: Japan, Ukraine, Belgium, some Czechs, some Norwegians, some Austrians, Aussies, New Zealand (thats me!), Greenland, a Slovakian, and a German. So, pretty much a party on the range.


The first 3 days were longer training days, about 4 hours. I would ski from our accommodation in the mornings down to the range, which I think is pretty great, and then ski home afterwards. Afternoons would be shorter with ski strength or a recovery workout.


It was also really nice cooking for myself. It's amazing how quickly you get sick of hotel food. But then again, I am not sure who else would want to eat my cooking. Sarah's cooking tips: Throw anything and everything into a pot and eat it. Usually turns out pretty successful.


I like to think this picture is like a runway into the sky. For New Years we all jumped into the van and went to Lienz for dinner. The internet is amazing- we searched "Lienz restaurants' and lots of different places popped up. We chose one, clicked reservation, added our details, showed up and it was set! I was excited it worked, and the restaurant was too as it was the first internet reservation they had ever had! Yes! After a delicious dinner (Lamb shanks!) we headed back to Obertilliach (40mins or so) and went for a midnight ski in the full moon! We skied up the downhill ski slope and watched the fireworks. The best part was skiing down at the end. It was fresh groomed tracks and lots of fun.


No rest for athletes, as we were at the range by 9am the next morning doing intensity, and it was great. As I said, you cannot be upset about anything in these conditions. I am so excited as well because my body is feeling great. I have no more leg pain and my back has not been sore at all. I am feeling healthy and am really excited for the coming races!

I was supposed to be leaving at 4am this morning to drop Marks girlfriend, Kim, off at the Munich airport, but this is maybe not the best way to travel before a World Cup. So Uiloq Slettemark from Greenland has contacts and helped me hitch a ride with a Norwegian athlete, Lars Berger and his girlfriend. We are leaving tomorrow morning and driving to Oberhof in one day (about 7 hours) where the next World Cup is. I am excited to get moving again! I think a lot of athletes have get this itchy bug where they cannot stay in one place for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Okay! Woo! So, I hope everyone is happy and healthy and lovin life. Do your thang, have a dance party and jump around because its 2010 and the Olympic village opens in 1 month. Woo! Go Team Go!

Smile!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. OKay - avenue # 2 - you are here somewhere? i just sent you a FB message, but here is the info again: I have a room here for you at the Sporthotel +49 36842 2860 room 123. Hope to see you soon!! -haley

    ReplyDelete

NORMA ammunition